At a Glance
- An established institution that has served the East Bay community for over ten years, operating as the East Bay campus of the German International School of Silicon Valley until the end of the 2017/18 school year. Since August 2018, EBGIS is operating as an independent entity with local governance and management, enabling us to serve our community even better.
- Highly qualified teachers who implement a rigorous and developmentally appropriate curriculum following and exceeding German and US standards. Our faculty prepare students to continue their education at top-tier high schools and universities in the US and abroad.
- A community of students, parents, teachers, and staff from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds who have a passion for learning through the lens of German language and cultural immersion.
- Individuals who recognize and value the uniqueness of the San Francisco Bay Area across all its dimensions – cultural diversity, intellectual curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship, active engagement with the world, and a passion for making positive change.
- Preschool through eighth grade education in small classes that maximize student/teacher and student/student interaction. This format allows teachers to give individualized support to all our students and challenge them to realize their full potential.
- Preschool and Kindergarten: dual-language immersion blending early language and math concepts and intercultural learning with music and art exploration, gross and fine motor development, and social-emotional education.
- Elementary School (grades 1 – 4): focusing on language and quantitative competencies, the arts, experimental science, and physical education.
- Middle School (grades 5 – 8): continuing to develop our students’ academic and critical thinking skills while supporting their development as unique individuals.
- Dual-language German/English programs:
- implementing proven German curricula noted for their success in developing students’ strengths across academic disciplines as well as critical thinking skills, social-emotional competencies, artistic expression, and motor skills;
- combined with project-based, literature-rich English language instruction in every grade.
- Faculty comprised of highly trained professional educators.
- Expansive facilities on a spacious campus including large classrooms, dedicated music, art, and library spaces, an auditorium, athletic facilities, and ample play space.
- A competitive tuition structure and financial aid for eligible families.
German is the national language of Europe’s largest and the world’s fourth largest economy. In addition to 83 million residents of Germany, there are over 17 million additional German speakers in Austria, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland. When one considers the influence of German language and culture in the arts, science, engineering and technical fields, and the business world, German language clearly opens the door to a world of opportunities.
German has a truly global cultural and linguistic presence. This is why EBGIS is an international school, not just a German school. We are a school that sees the world through the lens of German language and cultural immersion, actively engages with other cultures, and creates opportunities for our students to learn in a dynamic, multidimensional way with a global perspective.